Well, I was hoping to have my crops all planted in my new square foot gardens by last weekend. It didn't happen though. Mother Nature didn't seem to get my memo about needing some sunshine!
However, the back corner of our yard that we have had to "renovate" for my project is almost done! We had to pull out an old water feature and pond liner, remove all the rocks (fist sized and larger) and then level the ground for the beds to go on. We got all that done, but the leveling hasn't been the most successful because the ground is very muddy due to all the rain we have been getting. (Doesn't Mother Nature know we need the rain AFTER we do our planting!!!)
But I guess it all worked out okay because my soil, which was delivered yesterday, wasn't mixed to the right formula. We had a slight miscommunication and I ended up with 3 times the amount of peat moss in the mixture. The company has been awesome and they are taking it all back and fixing it up for me, and that gives me a few more days to get my garden leveled and the boxes finished. I am looking for some before pictures, but the after pictures are definitely on their way!!!
Thanks to all the rain that we have been having, I have had a few crops of rhubarb from my garden!
It was delicious stewed with a bit of water and sugar! Although Alicia found it too bitter for her liking :)
The box program has been going well. I am learning to use many vegetables that I didn't know how to use or even what they were!
This was my home made version of a chef's salad. It was on a base of green leaf lettuce, with mizuna and red kale. Then some sliced red pepper, red onion, and celery. Topped with sliced ham and turkey, a hard boiled egg and a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese. It was really good.